Monday, March 5, 2012

English 325 Essay 2

The two authors I chose for my imitation pieces are Dave Barry and Alice Steinbach. These two authors have very different styles so I thought it was be nice to try them both out.

For the Dave Barry imitation, I'm am doing writing about potholes and how they cause so much damage to the tires of vehicles, in turn causing people to spend so much money on tire replacements. The imitation is based on his piece "Road Warrior," where he makes fun of people with road rage. Barry uses a lot of sarcasm to draw humor to serious topics. He also uses a lot of analogies, metaphors, and exaggerations to add to his humorous tone. With regards to punctuation, he likes to capitalize his sentences to add emphasis and to highlight his emotions.

My Alice Steinbach imitation of "The Mrs. Dennison School of Writing" is about my experience with Mr. Kim, my Tae Kwon Do instructor who got me to the black belt level. In her piece, Steinbach has a very nostalgic tone where she is very descriptive of her experiences with her writing teacher Mrs. Dennison. She uses a lot of dialogue and dashes for emphasis. She uses mainly the past tense and she also likes to use similes to serve the purpose of description.

While analyzing the voices, tones, and styles of these authors, I found it extremely helpful to read the pieces over and over again to really ingrain the style into my head before I began writing. I tried not to go back to the piece too much when I was actually writing because I did not want my pieces to sound like a copied version. I also found it helpful to write parts of the pieces by these authors to get a feel how they think when they write. Other than that, I tried to keep the main points of the authors' voice and style in mind when writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment