Thursday, May 30, 2013

Indian Weddings

In the past 6-7 years of my life, I've attended about 4 Indian wedding ceremonies. I attended more when I was younger but don't really remember those very well. Additionally, the more recent Indian wedding ceremonies I have attended have really shed light on how important and meaningful some of the Indian wedding rituals and ceremonies are. These weddings are really a huge deal for both the families of the bride and groom and the greater community in which they are a part of.

First off, let me get this straight. Indian weddings are not one day long. They are typically 4 days in length. The first day is usually the mehndi were the women of the families of both the bride and groom get together to put on henna tattoos in intricate designs in celebration of the upcoming wedding. In Gujarati weddings, the second day is typically the "Garba" where the families of both the bride and groom get together and dance in circles to garba and raas music performed by live musicians. The third day involves various rituals where turmeric is applied to the feet and face of both the bride and groom by the women of each family. This event is called "pithi" and is typically done at the homes of the bride and groom respectively. Later on in the day is the "grah shanti" which is an important puja or a ceremony in which rituals are performed to protect the family from evil and obstacles during the wedding and also to invite those who have passed away in the family to come to the wedding.

I attended my cousins wedding this past weekend and I also attended my cousins wedding in London last year. Both of these weddings have opened my eyes to how Indian and particularly Hindu weddings are so family orientated. Indian weddings are about 30% for the bride and groom and 70% for their families. Not only are Indian weddings the union between a bride and groom but it is the union of their families. In addition, almost every relation to the bride and groom is explored and involved. In some rituals, the brother has to do something, or the dad's sister or the mom's brother or it could literally be anyone! There are some really interesting Indian wedding traditions that I would like to share.

During the Grah Shanti of each Gujarati wedding, there is something called a "mosaru" where the members from the bride or groom's mom's side enters the building from outside in which the Grah Shanti is taking place, bringing along with them gifts for each immediate family member of the bride or groom's dad's side. For the past two weddings, since I am related to my cousins from their dad's side, I got gifts myself! Usually it is simply cash money or sometimes it is Indian ethnic clothing. I just think its so interesting how weddings are also are way for family members to be reminded of how the wedding of the bride or groom's parents was a union of their families.

There was one particular ritual at the actual wedding ceremony of my cousin this past weekend that I have never seen before but found particularly intriguing. This ritual required a male member of the family of the bride who has married into the family. For this ceremony, the bride's cousin's husband was the participant. He was required to stand next to the groom as the priest tied holy string around the pair 9 times. The significance of this was to welcome the groom into the bride's family by someone who has already married into the family. It is a gesture saying "I have married into this family and I am welcoming you into the family as well."

Many times people get bored of watching Hindu rituals being performed as it often involves the priest chanting in sanskrit and no one really understanding him. But the interesting thing about Hindu weddings are that literally every ritual has a meaning and a significance that further makes the bride and groom officially a married couple.

Those are my thoughts on Indian weddings. This past weekend was just one of the many many more weddings to come in my family. I am excited to be a part of many more and to be reunited with family members who I haven't seen in such long times.

Stay tuned for my next blog post coming up soon!

2 comments:

  1. Above blog is very good because of its clear description about the Gujarati wedding functions. Shaadi Choice is the startup company which offers Gujarati matrimony services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally feel that wedding is not an event, it is a festival that comes once in a lifetime in every persons life. I visited my friends marriage where she called me one month before her marriage. I was surprised to see that each day is like an occasion. They spend one whole day itself to choose the Bridal Jewellery. Since then I understood what level of enjoyment we can get by attending marriages.

    ReplyDelete